Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

How to Make No Sew Drapes

One of my all time most popular posts is a tutorial on how to make lined pinch pleat drapes.  Since that post, I have received many emails from people who want to make their own drapes, but just don't sew. 
With that in mind... today I am going to show you how to make custom drapes, even if you don't sew.   
 When I came across this fabulous fabric from Calico Corners...

I knew it would be the perfect jumping off point to start to add some color to my basement.


I promise that these drapes are easy to make.  If you can iron, you can make these drapes.
I ordered 5 yards of fabric (on sale for 25% off) to make two panels.  
My drapes finished length ended up being 87".  Honestly I probably should have ordered 5 1/4 yards just to avoid the stress of matching up the pattern, but luckily it worked out.  
I cut the 5 yards exactly in the middle and lined it up from there.
The secret ingredient to any no-sew project is a product called stitch witchery.  

I already had the rod and rings from my previous drapes, so I knew I just had to make a narrow header to clip the rings onto.  I started by ironing a crease about 1 1/4" on the top of the drape.

Then I folded the fabric again, this time over the stitch witchery.  Working in small sections I ironed it into place.  You can follow the directions on the stitch witchery, however, you just press down for ten seconds or so, without ironing it back and forth.  Then I did the same thing on both of the sides.  I folded the sides on the salvage end and then folded it again and pressed the stitch witchery inside the two folds to "sew" it all together.
Once the drapes were hanging, I pinned the hem in place, and then removed it and
 ironed the hem  using the stitch witchery again.

It was that simple.  The drapes look absolutely beautiful in the basement.
Lighting is still an issue downstairs, so it was next to impossible to get a decent photo.

It took less than an hour and a half to make both panels.  It probably could be done in an hour, but I wasted too much time worrying that I may not have ordered enough material.  
Before I even began the project, I took the fabric and hung it on the clips to determine whether or not I would line the drapes.  I had bought the twin sheets from Walmart thinking I would be lining these drapes.  However, like I said, the lighting is at a premium downstairs and I didn't want anything to darken the room anymore than it already is.  Also, the fabric is a high quality fabric that has a beautiful linen texture to it.  Lining it was unnecessary (and time saving).  

I hope you will give these a try.


-Judy
Pin It


Sharing with Tutorials and Tips Link Party at Home Stories A to Z
Shabby Creek Cottage

37 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

Gorgeous, just gorgeous Judy. Love the stitch witch..could never live without it.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That fabric did wind up being perfect for drapes, Judy! Love how they turned out. I also love that stitch witchery. I've used it a few times myself when I just wasn't in the mood to take on a sewing project.

Gina said...

This is genius, Judy! Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Your curtains are beautiful. I love the fabric choice.

Andrea @ Decorating Cents said...

Great fabric.

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

What a great tutorial, Judy! Your drapes look great! Stitch Witchery has been my friend for years!

Jenny said...

They look great! Love the fabric too - so pretty.

The Stonybrook House said...

Love, Love, Love the fabric!!! They look awesome!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

This fabric is gorgeous and such a great tutorial. They look beautiful in your room. Hugs, Marty

Maria Elena said...

Your drapers are beautiful! That material is gorgeous! I use the stitch witchery all the time. Best invention yet!!!

Susan Anderson said...

Since I don't sew (surprise, surprise), this is PERFECT for me.

They look terrific, too.

=)

Adorned From Above said...

You did a great job with these. I would not have thought of not sewing them. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/simple-anti-aging-moisturizer-and.html
I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
Debi Bolocofsky
Adorned From Above
www.adornedfromabove.com

At The Picket Fence said...

I just love stitch witchery and your drapes look just beautiful Judy! :-)
Vanessa

pam {simple details} said...

I always love a bold large scale print, what a statement they make for your basement! Great choice!

Mrs. B said...

This turned out great. Great tutorial too! Thanks for this post.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I love a no sew project....love the fabric...looks beautiful!!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

THANK YOU, thank you!!!!!!!!!!! This is PERFECT timing! We are settling on our new house on 9/28 and I will need ALOT of window treatments FAST! And I don't sew!!!! This could be the perfect solution. I hope I can pull it off. Thanks again, you are a life saver. XO, pinky

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Great post! Thanks for the tutorial. Your drapes are beautiful. Do you know if the stitch witchery works on burlap?

Dee

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Hi, popped in from the linky at Project Queen. LOVE the drapes! The large print is so cool.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

They are gorgeous, you give us non-sewers a lot of hope:)

Emily @ The Diligent One said...

Love the fabric you chose!

Adorned From Above said...

This is such a great tutorial. I love the drapes. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/reeses-smore-brownies-and-wednesdays.html
from Wednesday until Sunday.
Hope to see you there.
Debi Bolocofsky
Adorned From Above
www.adornedfromabove.com

Mandy said...

Hi Judy, thank you for sharing your drapes at Project Queen's Party last week. I will be featuring them Monday night at the Highlight Party. They are beautiful... and no sewing involved :-).

Unknown said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.

drapes danvers

Unknown said...

You can learn to make no sew drapes with help of the article here. the information is very useful
Curtains

Unknown said...

Love it. I do sew but love not sewing if I can. What is the name of this fabric?

Unknown said...

Amazing tutorial, thank you for your creativity! So inspirational!

Ananasa.com- Home For Handmade

Alycia said...

these are so lovely! i'm looking to make my own drapes with the drapery hooks on top, but i'm worried the front of the fabric on top in between the hooks will droop forward. did you find that this happens or is the fabric stiff enough that it stays upright?

Unknown said...

Very innovative, love it!

Penelope Sanchez said...

This is really nice and easy! And you have much freedom to choose the fabric colour and design you want as well. A must try for the windows at home!

Mariz
Hail Damage Claims San Antonio

Dogi Lal said...

KTM Bike launch a super bike KTM 790 Duke in India at a price of Rs. 8.64 Lakh ex-showroom Delhi, Check it MotoBike

Crciekts Point said...

Hello dear Thanks for sharing this inforamtion is very help full information so thnaks dear aboout Sim lagao offer and ufone sim lagao offer this is very help full information thanks dear

dewatampan said...

Situs hondaqq ialah agen poker v partner kami yang sama seperti bandar poker v lainnya yaitu gelangqq, gesitqq, seniqq, pokerwalet, dan sbototo

Angela said...

Thank you for such a nice article keep posting, I am a RegularVisitor of your website.
best time to visit goa

jesirazak said...



is a site that provides exciting games and big bonuses as well as a live chat service 24 hours register and join now


s1288

s1288

s1288

s1288

s1288

s1288

s1288

s1288

s1288

s1288

jesirazak said...

visit our website find interesting things and play


Fixplay666

Fixplay666

Fixplay666

Fixplay666

Fixplay666

Fixplay666

Fixplay666

Fixplay666

Fixplay666

Fixplay666

Fixplay666

Fixplay666

Fixplay666

Slot Online

Slot Online

Slot Online

Slot Online

Slot Online

Slot Online

Slot Online

Slot Online

Slot Online

Slot Online

sindokht said...

لاک ناخن یکی از ابزارهای مورد علاقه خانم ها است.

gif445 said...

"Thanks for sharing ths valuable content!.

I've found a web portal and APIs can be very useful when sending bulk SMS offers. The thing I like most about them is that they allow me to send really targeted messages based on specific criteria, which makes it easier for me to increase sales and customer satisfaction at the same time!

Click to know more:
bulk sms
bulk sms india
dlt registration
"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...