Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Crochet Hangers - Copycat Challenge

Debbie-Doos  is hosting a Fall Copycat Challenge today.  My Grandmother passed away over nine years ago.  She was an avid crocheter and one of her specialties was crocheted hangers.  I have many of the hangers she made and think of her each time I use one.  
A few years ago I taught myself how to crochet.  I wish I had let her teach me, but I didn't have any interest in learning until recently.  She did beautiful work.
All of her stitches are even and everything is perfect.
  It was time for me to attempt to copy these.  For starters on this project I tried to find straight wood hangers like she used.  I searched everywhere and could not find anything like that.  I remember my mom used to buy the hangers for her at Caldor (anyone else remember that store?).  Well Caldor is gone and so is any store that sells such a hanger.  
If anyone out there knows where to find these hangers, please let me know. 
 In the meanwhile, I bought basic wood hangers and had to "make up" a pattern to get it to fit.
Here is my version.  Ugh...not quite the perfection of my Grandmother's, but a decent first attempt.  
One of the biggest issues was right up by the hanger where it is wider than the rest of the hanger. 
 Like I said, I made up a pattern.  I chained 120 and then I skipped the first 3 chains and did five double crochets in the next, then skipped three and did a single crochet.  Then I skipped three and did six double crochets and then skipped three and did a single crochet and continued until I got to the end.  Then I flipped it and did six double crochets in the half shell from the other side and then one double crochet in the single crochet from the other side.  I made two of these and started to attach them when I realized it was not going to cover the section by the hanger.
 I added a few rows of single crochet on either side to make up the difference, but I'm sure there are crocheters out there who are cringing right now. 

My shells are not nearly as uniform as my Grandmother's, but part of that was because I just couldn't get the darn thing to fit the hanger and had to stretch it here and there.  
I'm sure it would be much easier with a straight wooden hanger.
Here's my version next to my Grandmother's.  
Sometimes it's harder than others to be a copycat!! 

-Judy
Pin It

14 comments:

Pam said...

My grandma used to embellish pillow cases. Oh how I wish I had a pair of them. She taught me to crochet when I was a little girl and I can still remember sitting with her. Your hangers look pretty good. Lucky you to have your grandmas hangers.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

That's hard to do and you did a great job! That's so sweet that you still have your Grandmother's.
I did a google search and found this..not sure if it's what you want but here is a link. Just copy and past the link to see it. http://www.woodenhangersusa.com/natural-chrome-wood-hangers/172-space-saver-curves-hanger.html

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Judy,
I loved reading about your Grandmother's hangers and you wanting to copy her. My grandma crocheted all the time and I sure wish that I had taken the time to learn when I was younger. I do have a couple of her pieces and treasure them with all my heart.
Your crocheted hangers look very nice!
Visiting you from Debbiedoo's

Gail said...

Your grandmother would be so proud Judy! Your hangers looks great and I'm sure she would have said that to!! Enjoy your day, Gail

Debbiedoos said...

Judy these are just too sweet for words. I love crochet hangers. Thanks for sharing with my party.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Those are beautiful, Judy! Yes ~ I remember Caldor! I used to shop there as a young mother. We didn't have Target in our area then either. It was Caldor, Service Merchandise and, rather than the dollar stores we have today, there was a Cheap Sam's. I would think maybe garage sales, estate sales or antique marts might have those straight wood hangers. I'll keep on the lookout for them for you.

Gina said...

I haven't seen a crocheted hanger like that in a long time! They are beautiful! I think you did a great job on the copycat. I'm sure it couldn't have been an easy task.

Darlene said...

You did a great job. I regret not teaching my daughter to crochet but I might still try. I have a baby blanket my grandmother crocheted my daughter when she was a baby to pass down. take care, Darlene

livlovelaugh said...

these are gorgeous~

-liv
http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr/

Anonymous said...

Morning Judy! My grandmother made these too and I love them for my nicer silky blouses. I must make some of my own also. You did a fantastic job - Your grandma is smiling right now!

I used to shop at Caldor too and Bradlees - both were good stores for home good items and they were always changing merchandise unlike today's stores which keep the same stuff for too long!(my opinion)

I too will keep a look out for the straight hangers.
Have a great weekend!
Jeannette

Unknown said...

Beautiful! and such a wonderful memory! I would love to learn how to make these, they would make adorable baby hangers! Have a wonderful weekend!

bj said...

O, Judy, you did a wonderful job. I love that you wanted to copy your sweet grandmother. :) *teary
I feel the same way about learning to make quilts. My mother was sooo good at it but during the time I was raising my family, I didn't take the time to learn from her. First thing I knew, she passed away. Oh, how I would like a little more time with her this morning....bwaaaaaa
I need to go eat a piece of Coconut Pie and get in a better mood. :)
xoxo bj

Susan Shull said...

Judy-I love your hangers! My grandma made them too, and I have wished many times that I had asked her to teach me how. I have started collected the wooden hangers, so I guess I just need to DO IT! Thanks for the inspiration!

Hagerqdsg said...

My grandma used to embellish pillow cases. Oh how I wish I had a pair of them. She taught me to crochet when I was a little girl and I can still remember sitting with her. Your hangers look pretty good. Lucky you to have your grandmas hangers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...